Fall Crappie

Fall Crappie
Me with a nice Black Crappie and Cigar

Late Summer Crappie

Late Summer Crappie
Me with a nice White crappie and Cigar

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

FISHING WITH DAD

Over the 55+ years that I've been fishing Ive had numerous fishing friends! I have spent the majority of my fishing by myself but it was, and is, a special day when I have someone with me! The one person that I owe all my knowledge to, is my Dad! I have to say that he was my best fishing buddy of my life! We lost Dad 22 years ago and when he past I lost quite abit of my enjoyment for fishing! I have some beautiful memories of time spent with him on the water! Dad really loved to fish and when ever he hooked a nice fish, I got so much enjoyment just watching the fight! When I was a small lad, Dad had two or three guys that would go with him but as soon as I was old enough, he had to take me along! I know I really tried his patience but he stuck with me and I listened and learned. My first trip to Canada was in the summer of 1966. Mom and Dad had been there several time before but not with me. Dad was so excited just getting ready for that trip. He went out and bought all kinds of tackle including a huge hip roof tackle box and he filled it with every kind or fishing lure you could think of! When we arrived at our camp, I unloaded the car while Dad took a nap (since he drove all night to get there). I set up all the tackle then grapped my spinning outfit and headed to the dock. It wasn't long before I caught my first Smallmouth Bass. It wasn't big but it was a start. I then caught a fish that I had never seen before. This fish was long and skinny and had a mouth full of teeth! I had to go wake up Dad for an identification which he confirmed it to be a small Walleye. I was ready for more. The next morning we headed out on the lake. The area that was recommended to us was known as the "TRIANGLE" because it was in the middle of three points. It also had over 100 feet of water which made me nervous since I never fished water this deep. I mentioned all the tackle that Dad had bought well, we fished with nightcrawlers most of the time! We started out wind drifting and Dad started to pull into weeds, so he thought! It dawned on him that we were in too deep of water to be hitting weeds so he "SET THE HOOK" into what turned out to be his largest Walleye of his life! I never saw him this excited! He was actually shaking! I went to net the fish and missed on the first try which caused some anxious moments for Dad. I didn't miss the next time! That Walleye weighed 6# with so many teeth. We had a great week and made return trips in each of the next two years! Needless to say I have now caught several Walleyes with a couple in the 8# range. I could sit here all day and talk about Dad and that is just about fishing. I'll wait until later to tell you of our hunting trips! I hope you have fond memories of fishing with someone you love! It cann't be beat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment