Fall Crappie

Fall Crappie
Me with a nice Black Crappie and Cigar

Late Summer Crappie

Late Summer Crappie
Me with a nice White crappie and Cigar

Friday, March 11, 2011

I WANT TO GO CRAPPIE FISHING

It has been a terrible winter for me! I've been sick and in and out of the hospital so much since New Years that the hospital staff knows me by sight! I'm still not back to where I should be but I'm working on it day after day!
It is approaching the middle of March, 2011, the weather is starting to play tricks on us by being sunny and warm one day then cold windy and wet the next, followed by more snow! I haven't even taken a drive to check on our area lakes to see if they are in ice-out condition
With the price of gasoline edging up to $4.00 per gallon, my wife says to save the gas for work so who knows how much I'll be fishing this spring!
I've been watching films, on the internet, of ice fishing and early spring Crappie fishing.The Crappie will be moving into channels, bays, and canals as we get more into spring. They are fairly easy to catch using minnows hung from under a bobber (preferably a stick style bobber because this style gives less resistance and is easier for the fish to pull under). Also try 1/32ounce jigs with plastic bodies or grubs or maribou. These can be worked under a bobber and bounced slowly back in. Crappie will shallow up as the water warms but even in this cold water in early spring Crappie can be found in 3ft.-5ft.water depths.
If any of you know Columbiana County here in Ohio, you probably know Guilford Lake. One of the best early season areas in this lake is in the bay next to the camp grounds. The road that passes over the lake is CountyRd # 411 and is know as Teegarden Rd. There is a culvert under the road that feeds to the pond on the other side of the road. This has been the favorite area of Crappie fishermen for generations!
It's time to put fresh line of 4# to 6# on those Crappie poles,grab your box of panfish jigs and go catch some good eating Crappie!

No comments:

Post a Comment